A short list of tips on how to prepare and present a sermon
- Grow the topic out of your faith in Christ. Use an insight anchored in the reality of your obedience. In other words be a (repentant) practitioner of what you intend preaching.
- Keep to one point. Prove the point. Like sheep dog chasing every sheep through the gate-race. Repeat the one point during the talk.
- Make every idea and illustration serve that one point.
- Seek for brevity. Try and craft a memorable phrase for the one point.
- Enjoy being part of changing lives for the better and participating in what no Government, District Council, medical expert or anyone else can do as powerfully as a local church imparting Scripture.
- Always make sure the Gospel wins.
- Be practical.
- Go down not out. That is, drill into the text don’t just add parallel ideas.